A medium dark blue Staffordshire transfer ware plate depicting a grand view of New York’s city hall. New York’s population was mushrooming when this still standing example of Georgian Architecture was begun in 1810. It was a time when the population was less than 40,000. New Yorkers must have marveled at what then would have been a great symbol of their increasing prosperity. Construction took two years to complete which would be a marvel even with today’s advanced industrial equipment. The plate is part of the production of Ridgway’s “Beauties of America” series.